Book Editing Packages
We offer our self-publishing author clients the following book editing packages:
Review Your ManuscriptA DIY approach
- Written report (2–6 pages) outlining your book’s strengths and weaknesses
- Suggestions for improving your writing are provided
- Ideal for reworking your manuscript before committing to the full editing process
- Can help you to save time and money in the long run
- Includes 30–45 minute author mentoring session (phone or Zoom online meeting)
- For manuscripts between 100 – 130,000 words, appraisal fee ranges from $200 – $950 (based on total word count, plus complexity of manuscript).
The Light MakeoverA general tidy up
- Copy editing and proofreading to correct any errors in spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Check for any inconsistencies, repetitions or redundancies in your manuscript
- A general ‘tidy up’ which ensures that there are no major problems with your published book
- May be the most appropriate option for family histories and memoirs
- Does not produce a book to highest possible standard; not recommended for books distributed for sale
- Editing fees range from 1 – 5 cents per word (based on total word count, plus complexity of manuscript)
The Full WorksThe best end result
- Incorporates the three stages of editing (structural editing, copy editing and proofreading)
- Ensures that your book is published to the highest possible standard
- Includes publishing advice about parts of a typical book (i.e. Preface, Introduction, Acknowledgements, author bio, back cover blurb)
- Recommended for books intended for distribution to a wide reading audience
- Results in a high-quality publication which improves your book’s sales prospects
- Editing fees range from 1 – 6 cents per word (based on total word count, plus complexity of manuscript)
Editing Options for your Manuscript
We recommend that you aim to publish your book to the highest standard possible, but we understand that you might not have the funds to undertake an in-depth edit of your manuscript. Moreover, if you have written a family history or personal memoir which is intended to be read only by your family members or friends, it is probably not necessary to commit to a full editing process (our The Full Works package) for your book. For these types of publishing projects, your manuscript might only require a light edit (our The Light Makeover package). However, if your intention is to produce a high quality publication that will appeal to a wide range of readers, our full editing package is a very worthwhile investment.
Before deciding what sort of editing service you require, you should always ask yourself the question – ‘Who is the intended audience for my book?’ – as this will help you to determine the publication standard your book requires and hence the level of editing your manuscript should undergo. Likewise, you should consider the following points in relation to your book: its genre; its publication style (i.e. text only or text and graphics) and its publication format (i.e. printed book, Print on Demand, ebook).
Our editing fees for book publishing projects are based on the total word count, plus complexity of manuscript. They range from 1 – 5 cents per word for copy editing and proofreading, and 1 – 6 cents per word for structural editing.
To find out more about our book editing services for your manuscript, please contact us.